Saturday, October 31, 2009

The accident that totaled our van

 

Ugh! What a bummer of a week. Good thing it is over and it ends on Halloween. I LOVE Halloween. I especially LOVE trick or treating with the kids. Each year as they get older the fun increases. This year I think Micah is getting the hang of it. He says Happy Halloween so well. We just went over Trick or Treating ground rules before nap time. We talked about saying thank you, staying out of the street and sticking with mom and dad. The sun is finally out, so I think it will make for a nice night to go around our neighborhood with our new neighbor/schoolmate friends!
Anyway, the accident. I happened Monday October 26th after taking Elizabeth to the dentist. It was raining, the roads were slick and we were exiting the hwy onto Page. As I slowly braked I felt the wheels hydroplane, but thought I could correct it. Suddenly it was getting worse and I was losing control of the car somewhere around 50 mph. We spun around completely and the back of the van smashed into the cement median. Immediately the car stopped working properly. I pushed on the brakes and couldn't stop, I put the car in park and I was still sliding. I even pulled the keys out of the ignition and I continued sliding down the hwy. I had my phone and at this point had called 911. The car eventually stopped in the far right line. I was hysterical and kept asking Elizabeth and Micah if they were ok. They were crying, but said yes, they were fine. Worst part of the whole thing-NO ONE who witnessed the accident stopped to help, find out if I was ok or just call the police. A man did stop who saw me petering down the road with the bumper hanging off to check on us. He was so kind and stayed with us for a while. I am so thankful for him. The police, an ambulance and firetruck finally arrived. I chose to stay at the scene and not go to the hospital. At the time I was fine physically, just an emotional wreck. I couldn't get a hold of Rob or my mother in law, Helen to come get me and when I finally talked to Rob he left school and talked to our neighbor who came and got us. It was a scary horrible thing to go through and I hope it never happens again. Our van was only 3 yrs old with about 40,000 miles on it and due to the mess the back third of the van was in the insurance company totalled it. I am beyond thankful that Elizabeth, Micah and I are ok, but a little sad to say goodbye to our van. We have been on many road trips together and it has been such a reliable car. Now we have the joy of car searching which will cause us to go backwards in paying off our 2nd car. On Tuesday I decided to get myself checked out at the ER since I was having neck and back pain and some lightheadedness. I was diagnosed with whiplash and a cervical sprain. I was given some muscle relaxers, an anti-inflammatory, and darvocet. I don't know how much they are helping, but feel a little better when I do take them. I know I will probably be sore for a while and I will deal with that. I am just so thankful I have my 2 healthy, uninjured and beautiful children here to go out with me on Halloween night.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: